- Web Development
- Big Data
DevOps and Backend Consultancy - http://hurranet.com/services
Since October 2015
- Founded a small consultancy business on 10/30/2015
- Software, Big Data and DevOps consulting services for corporations
- Full-Stack Web Development for Startups
Time Warner Cable
to February 2016
- DevOps, Jenkins, HDP, Ambari, OpenStack, SBT, Scala, Scalatest, Spark
to November 2015
- Cloudera • CDH • HDFS • Hadoop • Storm • Flume • Chef • Ansible • AWS • Jenkins • Logstash • Java • RESTful APIs • Node.js • Python • PHP • Symfony ⁍
- ------ Big Data Java Engineer ------
- Wrote performant Storm topology to stream high-volume data (roughly 7 - 10k rows per second) from Oracle to HDFS in real-time. (some portions are open source now, available at http://github.com/linkshare )
- Wrote Flume sinks to geocode and stream click data from Apache logs to Hive tables.
- Wrote unit and functional tests for Storm topology
components, included Oracle mock using in-memory H2, and Cucumber JVM feature files for integration and functional tests.
- Big Data TechCon 2014 Certified.
- ------ DevOps Engineer ------
- Wrote Chef cookbooks, Python/Shell scripts to fully automate the provisioning of a complex, interdependent 100-terabyte CDH cluster
- Built custom CSDs and Cloudera Parcels for Redis, Storm and Pentaho BI server. (open source now, available at http://github.com/linkshare )
- Automated deployment of Oozie workflows and HDFS scripts using Jenkins and Git hooks
- Automated SOPs to manage/operate Storm streams using Jenkins.
- Exposure to Lambda Architecture, with focus on real-time layer and streaming
- Integrated Storm with Logstash.
- Wrote many Chef cookbooks to provision various application servers both on AWS and data centers. Leveraging advanced concepts such as encrypted data bags, Chef Search API, LWRPs, Berkshelf ...etc
- ------ Back-end/Full Stack Developer ------
- Strictly-compliant RESTful API using PHP/Symfony
- Strong exposure to MongoDB, including concepts such as sharding and replica sets.
- Node.JS real-time data streaming application, capable of streaming up to 5k records/second
- CAS Server and Shibboleth IDP3 integration for SAML2 SSO implementation.
- RESTful APIs using Node.JS, Express and MongoDB
- ---- Full Stack Development ----
- Occasionally worked as freelancer developer when time permitted in addition to full-time employment or during college and graduate school
- Worked on various PHP, Perl and CGI projects
- International clients from Europe, North America and the Middle East
- Completed 16 projects on Freelancer.com platform, consistently earning 5/5 rating and very positive feedback (see https://www.freelancer.com/u/aimannajjar.html )
- Maintained and developed a complex PHP application for Columbia University's Biology Department to receive Amgen and SURF scholarship applications online
- 60% Repeat hire rate
- 100% on time, 100% on budget
- ---- Web Development Mentor (Ruby on Rails) ----
- Worked as Ruby on Rails mentors for theFirsehoseProject. Met with a student on a regular basis to help him learn Ruby on Rails. The FirehoseProject combines an aggressive curriculum of Ruby on Rails tutorials and exercises with one on one mentoring and group sessions.
to September 2013
- Worked Primarily on DevOps tasks
- Automated deployment of J2EE applications on 50-node tomcat cluster using Ansible and Python
- Wrote web application that generates week-over-week charts and tabular daily summaries of EA Mobile Games backend traffic data (using ElasticSearch, Logstash and PHP). The app is used to highlight significant traffic drop to detect obscure front-end/back-end integration or connectivity issues
- Assisted briefly on EA Mobile Games back-end bug fixes (Java)
to September 2012
- Concurrently while pursuing MS degree at Columbia University, worked as LAMP developer and developed/maintained complex scholarship application system for Biology Department.
to December 2011
- Participated in, led and supervised back-end development maintaining best practices.
- Leading a team of developers for implementation and testing of product under development.
- Worked with the front-end team on integration
- Assumed various roles, ranging from digital media sites back-end development, OAuth integrations, iOS app maintenance to 3rd party feeds integrations and cloud infrastructure maintenance
- J2EE, Velocity, MySQL, Amazon AWS, Ajax, jQuery, JSON, XML, RSS/MRSS Parsers, CMS, RESTful web services, OAuth, social media integration (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Rapidly rose through positions
- --- Positions held ---
- Manager, Software Development
- Software Engineer
John Wiley & Sons
to April 2010
- Full stack / Java Developer
- Worked on complex back-end MVC Spring application that powers Wiley's LPI Online assessment tool
- Worked on PDF reports generators using XSLT transformer
- Participated in complex database design and implementation using Hibernate as ORM
- Technologies include J2EE, Spring, MVC, XSLT, Hibernate, DWR, jQuery, Oracle
Advanced Software Engineering (COMS W4156)
Machine Translation (COMS E6998)
Semantic Technologies in IBM Watson (COMS E6998)
Advanced Database Systems - Information Retrieval (COMS E6111)
Search Engine Technology (COMS E6998)
Fundamentals of Distributed Systems (COMS W4995)
Database Systems (COMS S4111)
Programming Languages & Translators (COMS W4115)
Network Security (COMS W4180)
Artificial Intelligence (COMS W4701)
Operating Systems I (COMS W4118)
University of Jordan
Ruby / Rails
PHP / Symfony / Doctrine
Node / Express
Bootstrap (Responsive Design)
Google App Engine